Thursday, June 26, 2008

Oh Baby!

A few days ago while walking down Borough High Street, a few blocks from where I currently live in South London, I saw a young woman not more than 16 or 17 pushing a baby stroller and wearing a t-shirt that read “I ALWAYS GET WHAT I WANT.”

Holy shit.

Either this young woman:

1) Has an incredible appreciation for irony.

2) Does not understand irony at all.

3) Is fucked up.

This upsetting image (and yes, I do realize the young woman could’ve actually been older or the baby’s sister) reminded me of the pregnancy pact story that made waves in the US earlier this week.

The mainstream press reported that 17 girls in Gloucester, Massachusetts all agreed to get pregnant together. If this is indeed true, I think it clearly illustrates the failure of The Baby-sitters Club series to properly guide young women.

For those of you who don’t know what I’m talking about and apparently didn’t bother clicking the wikipedia link I provided above, this book series discusses a variety of issues that young women face, such as sex-free teenage dating.

Perhaps instead of ignoring sex altogether, The Baby-sitters Club could have reinforced the fact that the babies they sit should not be their own.

“Babysitting is awesome. What if I had my own kid to babysit? I should make a baby!”

“No Stacey, you can’t make money sitting your own baby! Plus, no one will go with you to prom!”

Perhaps Stacey getting pregnant instead of having diabetes could have been more a useful and interesting topic for young, impressionable women. Not to say that diabetes is not a concern for millions of teenage girls, but pregnancy seems to be a bit more universal.

Ok, ok…Stacey can have diabetes…maybe Claudia could have gotten pregnant.

As I mentioned in the blog entry Thoughts on a Plane, I read these books as a youth. Looking back, I think this may have irrevocably affected my relationships with women. In my teenage years, its influence likely led to more female friendships and less love-making. Perhaps, in this sense, The Baby-sitters Club did prevent teenage pregnancy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home