Friday, October 31, 2008

Idiot.

This happened yesterday.

I recently re-registered at The Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA in Seattle which I used to go to when I lived here a couple of years ago. A simple task complicated by an idiot (not the person who worked there):

(HARI at YMCA front desk)

YMCA DUDE: What's your name?

HARI: Hari.

YMCA DUDE: Harvey?

HARI: Hari.

YMCA DUDE: Hari.

WHITE LADY: Like "Hurry Up." Right?

(Hari takes a brief look at this woman who he's never met before, ignores comment, turns head back to YMCA Dude).

HARI: Yeah, so it's Hari.

WHITE LADY: So, have you seen The Namesake?

(HARI PAUSES FOR A SECOND.)

HARI: I really don't want to talk about this.

(BRIEF, YET STILL AWKWARD, SILENCE)

HARI (to YMCA Dude): So, the lockers cost $5 to rent now?

WHITE LADY: I'm really glad you were so frank with me.

HARI: Umm...yeah...I'm just sick of people asking me to talk to them about yoga and stuff, you know?

(Trying to get her to understand how unfair it is for a person to be bothered about all things South Asian by strangers just because of his or her appearance.)

WHITE LADY: No, no, I'd never do that! I probably know more about yoga than you do!

HARI: Yes, you probably do.

(HARI walks away and to locker room annoyed and unconvinced an Obama presidency will eliminate such interactions).

Idiot.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kirbs said...

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA WHY YOU???!!!!!!!

WHAT THE HEEZY WAS SHE THINKIN??

dood.. that takes patience not to just say "wat the fuck are you talking about lady...?" thats pretty frank :) and then make a joke and be like "fuckin racist, IM NOT EVEN SOUTH EAST ASIAN...IM *insert what you arent here*"

miss you!

2:09 AM  
Blogger good lucky money said...

hari,
i propose we start a joint blog called "idiot" where we talk about all the idiotic things people say to us daily. it'll be funny haha!

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home