Sunday, March 15, 2009

Rob Gordon is not Lloyd Dobler

Whenever I watch the film High Fidelity, I have to make an active effort to remind myself that John Cusack is not playing Lloyd Dobler from Say Anything. Here are some thoughts I had from the last time I saw High Fidelity, ironically enough, when a flight cancellation allowed me to spend a night in Chicago where the film takes place:

"Lloyd Dobler would not behave this way. Damnit, I need to remember he is not playing Lloyd Dobler right now. Lloyd Dobler may still be in London as we speak, teaching kickboxing basics to young people, living with his life partner Diane Court."

"Rob makes elaborate mix tapes to explain how he feels. Lloyd Dobler just needs a boombox that blasts Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes."

-"Rob just called Charlie a 'bitch.' Lloyd would not call Charlie a'bitch.' Lloyd would not find a woman like Charlie attractive."

"Yes, Rob is standing broken-hearted in a payphone in the rain right now, as Lloyd did after he and Diane Court broke up, but Rob deserved it. Lloyd Dobler is not, to paraphrase what Rob calls himself, "a fucking asshole." Lloyd would not cheat on Diane and cost her a baby."

-"Say Anything and High Fidelity are just films. Why am I having trouble remembering this? Their realities are frozen and it's bizarre to highjack someone else's imagination and create new imaginary realities. This is what leads to the 'fan fiction' phenomena."

"I am not Lloyd Dobler."

At the bare minimum, these FICTIONAL people have led to two of my favorite film quotations:

Rob Gordon on Music and Misery:

"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"

Lloyd Dobler on His Future:

"I don't want to sell anything, buy anything or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought or processed. Or repair anything sold, bought or processed, y'know? As a career I don't want to do that. So, my father's in the army, he wants me to join, but I can't work for that corporation. So what I've been doing lately is kickboxing."

This entry would have been more appropriate if I was in the 18-21 demographic. I am 26.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger i.d.a. said...

Right. Except people *currently* 18-21 probably have no idea who Lloyd Dobler is....and maybe not even Rob Gordon.

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home